If you suspect that your home or place of business has mold it is extremely important that you have adequate testing done by a qualified licensed hygienist or an Indoor Air Quality Professional If you or someone in your family is sick please STOP now and read this article then come back to this page.
For home or office testing you can DIY using an ERMI home testing kit as recommended by Dr. THRASHER.
“Dr. Thrasher has specialized in Toxicology since 1966 and Immunotoxicology since 1986. He has been a consultant to toxicology laboratories and three human diagnostic laboratories. He has been an expert witness in government, defense and plaintiff cases.” Source
Knowledgeable hygienists use various methods of testing which include but are not limited to dust and air samples, drywall samples etc. They also take samples from carpeting and may drill small holes to remove samples from inside of your walls. Please note that regardless of what any tester tell you, it is unsafe to have more than a 2 score on the ERMI test.
Mycotoxins and endotoxins should not be present in ANY amount. If you are dealing with Mold in your place of work please read my article entitled: How to Handle Mold/Mycotoxin Exposure at Home or at Work – Where To Get Help
Although hiring the services of an IAQ Professional is costly, it is a good route to take if you want to be certain of the presence of toxic mold in your home and or if you and your family are sick with unexplained symptoms. If you would like to do the testing yourself I recommend you start with the ERMI (Environmental Relative Moldiness Index) testing kit. You can purchase these types of testing kits at a moderate cost from EMSL Analytical.
If you do not do any type of testing but you are suffering from a wide range of medical conditions without rhyme or reason then I recommend that you take a sabbatical from your home, place of study and or place of work. Stay away for 2 weeks if possible and see if there is a slight change in symptoms. This might give you a clue to what is going on.
Also note any changes when you get back.
Unfortunately as I have learned recently, the presence of toxigenic mold can cause headaches, migraines, vomiting, nose bleeds, irregular heartbeats, muscle pain, memory loss, brain fog, extreme fatigue, respiratory complications, tumorous growths and many other issues. A child who lives in a home with toxic mold may have reddish dark circles under their eyes, constant colds, sniffles, neurological problems, ear infections and weakened immune system.
I can’t stress enough how important it is to test if you suspect a mold problem. Don’t look at the cost because your health far outweighs any expense you may incur.
If you loose your health then all the money in the world wont mean a thing.
Remember that molds producing mycotoxins can cause serious harm to adults and children alike. If you work or live in a home with mycotoxins please leave and seek medical treatment immediately.
“Mycotoxins are secondary metabolites produced by microfungi that are capable of causing disease and death in humans and other animals. Because of their pharmacological activity, some mycotoxins or mycotoxin derivatives have found use as antibiotics, growth promotants, and other kinds of drugs; still others have been implicated as chemical warfare agents.
Mycotoxins are not only hard to define, they are also challenging to classify. Due to their diverse chemical structures and biosynthetic origins, their myriad biological effects, and their production by a wide number of different fungal species, classification schemes tend to reflect the training of the person doing the categorizing. Clinicians often arrange them by the organ they affect. Thus, mycotoxins can be classified as hepatotoxins, nephrotoxins, neurotoxins, immunotoxins, and so forth.” Source